Hooray! We're so excited you've decided to join us in
The Great Australian
take your pledge below.
*We will never share your details with anyone
Switching OFF screens. Switching ON life
(for 24 hours..)
Sunday 3rd-4th December 2023
6am to 6am
if your answer is no, then you're exactly the person who needs to register.
'Yeah, switching off for 24 hours sounds like a really great idea, but I personally can't take part because I really need my laptop/phone for work ...or I have to watch an important episode of my favourite program... or I need to post on social media that day'.
But do you really need to? In fact if you're coming up with all of those excuses so easily then you are exactly the person who needs to switch off the most.
Did you know that excessive screen time can cause significant harm to your physical and mental health? And it can age you. It can also have a serious negative impact upon the people closest to you....in so many ways.
it's easy to take part in
All you have to do is..
Do I need to switch off ALL my screens on that day?
you can't seriously expect me to switch off my mobile phone
What's the whole point of this?
2. We want to start an important conversation about the harmful effects of excessive screen time in today's society.
3. We want to create space in people's lives for conversations that 'might never have been', if a screen was present.
4. We want to get people (especially children) moving and active, and enjoying time in the great outdoors.
I'm saving the world that day so I can't do it on that exact date. can I do it on another day?
Why is it only for 24 hours?
What should I do on that day instead? I'll be so bored..
Why is this called the Great Australian Switch-Off? Can I take part if I am not in australia?
why are you trying to torture me?
Do I have to be a certain age to take part?
Will anyone be checking if I stick to my pledge?
Is this an annual event?
Does it cost anything to take part?
I am very important. there's no way I can take part because people need to be able to contact me.
3. If you think you can't survive without a screen then there is even more reason to switch off because it sounds like you are dependent on your screens.
4. People can still contact you through your mobile phone by TALKING.
5. It is only 24 hours of your life.
what will I personally get out of this?
2. Your neck will thank you (because you will be looking up)...
3. Your eyes will thank you (because there will be less strain fatigue and dryness)...
4. Your posture will thank you (because you will be moving)...
5. Your lungs will thank you (because you are more likely to be outside breathing in fresh air)...
6. You will sleep better (without the blue light from screens disturbing your melatonin levels)...
7. There may be beneficial effects on your mental health (without endless doom-scrolling, and comparing yourself to others on line)...
8. You might accomplish things you thought you never had time for..
9. You will prove to yourself that you don't need a screen in your life every day...
10. You will have the opportunity to talk and listen to people around you without a screen in the way...
11. You will create room in your life for more important conversations...
And this is just the beginning...
You'll be amazed at how you feel! It doesn't matter how old you are or what you do.
No screens, NO excuses, for 24 hours.
*We will never share your details with anyone.
Switching off your device could change a life....
maybe even yours.
Did you know that even just a small break from technology can have significant impact on your mental and physical health, as well as your connection with others?
Who knows what life-changing conversation could take place when you are not pre-occupied with looking at a screen.
You missed out!
Just 24 hours is all it takes.
Sign-up to our newsletter to receive exclusive tips on how you and your family can regularly switch off, as well as information on our upcoming community events.